Welcome to my blog!

"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately, I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life, to put to rout all that was not life and when I had come to die - discover that I had not lived." - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Have a great year - Live Deep!

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Hurricane Sandy Donation Drive - Davies Partnering with Woodlawn Catholic Regional School

Back in October I began to think about how I would introduce my "Cans of Hope" Thanksgiving donation competition to my new students. Then came Sandy. In just a few days, thousands of American lives were changed forever. Although the news footage and pictures were devastating to watch, I just couldn't tear myself away. Furthermore, my sister-in-law Allie is from Brick NJ - any area devastated by the hurricane. After talking to her and hearing the sound of loss in her voice, I knew that I needed to help.

As you know, this year's "Cans of Hope" competition has turned into a massive Sandy donation drive. A few phone calls, emails, and fliers was all it took. Currently, my World Cultures classes have raised hundreds of items for the drive. In addition, Davies faculty and staff hear my call to action and responded without hesitation. Currently, my classroom is literally FILLED with items.

Our Davies SkillsUSA Student Council has stepped up to the plate and made this donation drive a school-wide event. The Executive Board: Blessing, Wesley, Austin and Claudia, have worked tirelessly collecting, lifting, and sorting items. Wesley even returned to his former middle school Woodlawn Catholic Regional School in Pawtucket, RI to ask for support. Mrs. Procopio, the principal, went above and beyond in partnering with Davies.

Today, as I stepped into Woodlawn, I was reminded of true meaning of gratitude and compassion. Dozens of bags and boxes lined the hallway. Donations of food, teddy bears, water, blankets, and hundreds of personal hygiene items were waiting for us. As I watched the students carry the items to our bus I was overwhelmed with emotion. It was in that moment I was, once again, reminded why I love being a teacher.

My students, and the students at Woodlawn Catholic Regional School, are compassionate, selfless, and socially aware. To be in the presence of these students was an honor.

Here are a few pictures from our collection at Woodlawn:


No comments:

Post a Comment